Happy New Year!

Wait, what?

It’s February?




Hey everyone! It’s great to see you! Sorry I’ve been missing in action again but I’ve finally gotten myself to a place where I feel like I can blog more so look forward to that.

It’s 2018 and I’m feeling cautiously optimistic about this year (it’s going to be better than last year even if I have to live in a false reality to make it happen).

I was reading back over my last few blog posts and I realize I definitely need to get some updates to you guys.

First and foremost, I finished the quilt. I’m planning on doing a whole post about it later this week though…just know my mom loved it. And it was really hard for me to give it up.

But I also thought I’d update you guys on some personal stuff so you could maybe get a better idea of why I’ve been so MIA.

There have been some major life changes for me since the end of October…well, really since the summer. If you don’t want to read a bunch of updates about a person you may not know, feel free to skip the rest of this post. Just know knitting and quilting content is on it’s way back!

Still here? Awesome. So let me give a you a brief timeline of my life for the past six months or so.

Last summer, after I transitioned to a newly created position in the company I was working for (this is foreshadowing) my boss who I got along with really well, moved on to a different company. Throwing work stuff into turmoil.

Then, at the end of October, my work had a little health fair thing that included getting a blood check. Like, they poke your finger and run it through a machine and you get a quick rundown of your health. Including cholesterol and blood sugar. My blood sugar number was worrying and they suggested I get in to see a doctor.

For once, I actually took someone’s advice to heart and made an appointment that week. They got back to me same day and diagnosed me with diabetes.

This has been tough for me to deal with. Even though I knew it would likely happen, as my parents both have diabetes as did my grandmother, you never really think it’s going to happen. In the back of my mind I always thought I’d be fine.

For those of you who know me personally, you know I’m extremely overweight. One of the problems with being overweight is that going to the doctor always feels like a gamble. I just assume anytime I go in they’ll just tell me to stop being so fat and then everything will be perfect. As if I don’t know I’m fat.

That being said, my new doctor is incredible. One of the first things he said to me after me saying something about knowing I need to lose weight was “Hey, I’m not here to make you feel about about your weight or tell you it will solve your problems. I’m here to listen to you and make sure you’re ok.” I wanted to cry and give him a hug. He’s got my loyalty forever. Luckily the diabetes is still early and I’m on medication that I can hopefully get off of as I continue to lose weight. I’ve been kicking ass at eating better and have lost over 40lbs since October!

While all this health stuff was going on, I decided I needed to do what’s best for me and work wasn’t really working for me anymore. I still really liked the people but I was bored and felt like I wasn’t being utilized to my full potential. I was also driving an hour each way and was tired of it. I started poking around online to see if there were any options for me with the idea that I’d really start looking in the new year.

Then I sent off a few applications. And went on a few interviews. And was offered this awesome position with a new-ish app in their customer service and I accepted and put in my 2 weeks notice with my last day at the old place being 12/28. I started the new job mid-January and have been part of the new company for almost a month and I absolutely love it! I feel valued, I’m empowered to do my job and the pay & benefits are so much better!

Train knitting.

I’m still commuting about an hour but that’s because I can now take the light rail instead of driving and I’m loving it so far. I get to read or knit and not have to worry about traffic or parking. It’s been so nice!

I’ve also started writing fiction again. Some friends have been doing essentially a writing support group on our discord server and I figured why not. I’m just writing for the hell of it, with no intention of letting anyone else see it and I’ve actually been enjoying it. I’ve written over 5000 words in 2 days.

I’ve been getting to work anywhere between 30 mins and an hour early so I don’t feel rushed. I decided that I could use that time to be productive instead of just reading or fucking around on my phone so I went out and bought a relatively inexpensive Chromebook with leftover Christmas money and that’s what I’m typing this on now. It’s definitely been an incentive to write more!

Another cool thing is we’re currently based out of a WeWork because they’re just opening this office in Portland – in fact I’m part of the first group hired – and WeWorks are pretty rad y’all. There’s fruit water and free coffee and neat places to hole up and work on stuff. Not to mention beer and cider on tap. It feels incredibly cool and I feel incredibly spoiled. It’ll be a bummer when we get our permanent office space eventually!

The only bummer is right now my schedule means I don’t get to see my husband as much as I used to – I get home several hours after he does and we have different days off – but I think as the company expands, there will be more opportunities for different schedules so hopefully we’ll be able to work it out.

So, yeah, things have been crazy which is why I haven’t been knitting much or doing much with the blog. Like I said though, I’m hoping to do more!

TL;DR – I got sick. I’m doing better. And I’m back.

This entry was posted in General, Not-knitting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.